Proper hydration: 8 glasses a day, right?

Wrong!  Active men and women actually need more water than the old wives tale of 8 glasses (64 ounces) a day.  Many resources are available to determine your hydration needs, however the one I find the most respected is the 2010 Dietary Reference Intakes.

Gender Age Range Recommended Intake (in liters) Recommended Intake (in ounces)
Males 14-18 years 3.3 l 112 fl. oz.
19 + 3.7 l 125 fl. oz.
Females 14-18 years 2.3 l 78 fl. oz.
19 + 2.7 l 91 fl. oz.

There is no “gold standard” when it comes to fluid intake.  Many factors must be taken into consideration—activity level, body size, and environmental conditions.  Many times, it’s best to let thirst be your guide.  If you’re thirsty, drink some water.  Seems simple, right?

Now you may think that 125 ounces seems like a lot- but water can be supplied by a variety of foods and fluids such as fruits and vegetables, milk, fruit juices, sport drinks, water, coffee, tea, and even soup.  Approximately 20% of daily water needs comes from water found in food, and the remaining 80% is provided by fluids ingested during the day.

ImageWater is essential for overall health.

Many people today are not drinking enough water and becoming slightly dehydrated, without even realizing it.  Water is the most important nutrient in the human body. Most of the volume of cells and body fluids are also comprised of water. If the body’s water content drops by as little as 2%, it will certainly cause fatigue. Some of the early signs of dehydration include: fatigue, anxiety, irritability, depression, cravings, cramps, and headaches.  So the next time you feel a little anxious, or a headache is starting… try drinking a glass of water!

Click here for 10 tips on how to make better beverage choices.  Looks like water will save you money, help you save some calories, and it’s super convenient!  There’s always a drinking fountain around!

Until next time, happy hydrating!

Advertisements

Posted on August 30, 2012, in Environmental, Intellectual, Nutrition/Culinary Corner, Physical, Resources, Social, UND Work Well and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: