October 25th’s Crock Pot Cooking class!
At our Crock Pot cooking class today, we made Philly cheese CHICKEN sandwiches! These delicious sandwiches put a healthy twist on the classic “Philly Cheese Steak.” Using chicken instead of steak reduces the amount of fat and cholesterol in the meal without sacrificing the protein source. Protein has many important functions in our body; it is used to make hemoglobin (the part of our blood that carries oxygen), it is also used to build muscle, along with many other important functions! Yay protein! This recipe has a good source of protein and veggies and is super easy. This class is very laid back and we try to get the participants involved as much as possible! I demonstrated how to cut onions and green peppers in an efficient way (although there are many techniques to do this). Next week we will be making stuffed green peppers, so bring yourself and your crock pot next Friday (November 1st) and we will have lots of fun in Culinary Corner.
Slow Cooker Chicken Philly Sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced
- 3 boneless,skinless chicken breasts, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Dale’s Steak Seasoning
- sliced Mozzarella cheese
- hoagie rolls
- Spray a 3 – 4 quart slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray and turn to LOW heat.
- Add butter, onions and green peppers.
- Toss chicken with steak seasoning, salt and pepper, then add to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook for 5 hours.
- Serve on hoagies with a slice of cheese melted on top.
Posted on October 25, 2013, in Faculty & Staff, Healthy UND/Healthy UND 2020, Nutrition/Culinary Corner, Physical, Recipes and tagged Chicken Philly sandwich, UND Culinary Corner. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.