Culinary Corner on WDAZ!
Posted by marketingassistant1
WDAZ is starting a new series on their show called GR8 Plates, and the Culinary Corner was featured for their first episode of the series! In the feature a local chef showed how to create a healthy and delicious meal. The menu consisted of a stuffed pork chop with sweet and russet potato mash with banana foster for dessert. The recipe for the meal is below:
Stuffed pork chop
4- 1 to 2 inch thick bone in or boneless pork chops
1/2 bag fresh spinach
1 yellow onion diced
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
Balsamic vinegar glaze (optional)
1. Take a boning knife, and at one end of the pork chop make a cut big enough for your finger to fit into. Slowly work knife into the chop lengthwise. Slowly bring knife back making a pocket throughout cavity.
2. Melt butter in a hot sauté pan. Add onion and begin to stir. Add spinach and let cook until nicely wilted. The spinach should reduce in size greatly.
3. Once spinach mixture it cool enough to handle, begin inserting mixture into the cavity of the pork chop.
4. Add olive oil and Italian seasoning into a bowl, and cover outside of chop with seasoning. Let marinate for 2 hours and up to overnight.
5. In heavy bottom pan, or on a grill, heat pan and add a little oil. Once you place the chops into the pan, or on the grill, you will want to hear a sizzle in order to get a good sear and a browning effect.
Russet and sweet potato mash
3 russet potatoes
2 sweet potatoes
2 tbsp butter
Salt and black or white pepper
Honey and fresh basil (optional)
Peel and cut potatoes. Cut both similar in size to assure even cooking. Place into a pot and cover with cold water.
Bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer. Cook until done. Drain and mash mixture until smooth.
Add butter and other ingredients if desired. Chop fresh basil very finely. Season with salt and pepper until the flavor makes your taste buds melt!
Before starting this, whether cooking over a gas range or using a long lighter to ignite the dessert, be sure to have your area clear of anything that could catch fire. Keep a lid near by and fire extinguisher just in case. Its really not that dangerous as long as you are careful.
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp or so brown sugar
2-4 oz dark rum, light rum, whiskey, or 99 bananas – Rum is classical and will flame quite well.
Vanilla ice cream
In a pan melt butter and wait for foaming to subside
Add brown sugar and let the two become sauce like in the pan
Add bananas and stir continuously for a minute
Once the sauce and bananas are nice and hot:
Add alcohol to pan and either tilt to one side for a gas range, or light with a long grill lighter.
Stir pan until flame goes down. Pour mixture over ice cream.
Posted on May 1, 2013, in Healthy UND/Healthy UND 2020, Men's Health, Nutrition/Culinary Corner, Physical, Recipes, Seven Dimensions of Wellness, Social, Women's Health and tagged culinary corner, recipes, Seven Dimensions, WDAZ, wellness center. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.