Students, Here is a thought: Reasons why YOU should get the flu shot…
There are many excuses one can think of to avoid getting vacinated from the flu such as, “I hate shots,” “I got the flu vaccine last year… I don’t need another one,” or “I’m healthy, so I don’t need a flu vaccine.” But the truth of the matter is that it is no fun being sick on campus without mom or dad to help take care of you. Missing classes, missing work, and missing out on fun social events or club meetings are just among the many negative effects the flu can have on a student who is sick.
Being sick with the flu is bad enough, but did you know that Influenza can lead to serious illness and even death? Influenza can cause deaths, even in healthy young people. ND flu activity to date is 95 hospitalized, 6 deaths, and 2491 diagnosed cases. Minnesota stats are 2128 hospitalizations and 75 deaths.
According to News 5, a 22-year-old Wright State University student died from flu complications just recently after being hospitalized for four days. Anyone can become sick with the flu and experience serious complications no matter how “healthy” they are. The flu virus is unpredicatable, but the good news is that it is preventable. Getting the flu vaccine is the number one way to protect yourself, friends, and others at the University.
Fast Facts about the flu shot:
- Flu shots have been given for over 50 years and have a high safety ratings (monitored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug administration).
- It is important to get vaccinated every year because the body’s level of immunity from last year’s shot, is expected to decline over the past year.
- Most people say that the minor pain of a flu shot is nothing in comparison to suffering from the flu.
- It takes two weeks for the flu vaccine to provide full protection, so the sooner the better! The flu season reaches it’s peak towards the end of January and the beginning of February, so it is never “too late” to get vaccinated because it will offer you protection all year long!
- The flu vaccine protects against three influenza viruses that current research indicates will be the most common during this season.
- You can get vaccinated for the flu right on campus, the UND Student Health Services offers flu shot service and itis relatively quick and super affordable!
Along with getting the flu shot as the number one way to avoid getting the flu, check out these other awesome prevention tips to stay healthy during flu season:
- Cover your cough
- Clean your hands frequently
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth
- Keep your distance (6ft+) when possible
- Stay home when you are sick to get well faster!
- To schedule an appointment for your flu shot, you can call Student Health Services at 701.777.4500, or schedule an appointment online.
- Click Here for more information on the flu or flu shot.
- Influenza by the Numbers
Posted on January 25, 2013, in Faculty & Staff, Immunizations and Vaccinations, Men's Health, Physical, Student Health Guru, Women's Health and tagged cover your cough, flu shot, influenza, shots, UND, UND Student Health Services. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.